Thursday, August 30, 2007

This is How the World Will End

Not with a bang or a whimper, but with vapid celebrity pseudo "news" that will drive us all to mass suicide.

Wanna know how I've determined that we are now entering the End Times? Because yesterday immediately following the sign-off of our 10:00 p.m. news, the blaring trumpet theme of Entertainment Tonight came blasting through my television's speakers accompanied by the following voiceover:

"TONIGHT! WE HAVE NEW FOOTAGE OF OWEN WILSON'S BROTHER LOOKING CONCERNED!"

That was it. THAT was news. I know that's the case because I kept waiting for the actual story to be explained, but it never was. We have apparently reached the point where a fairly minor celebrity exhibiting an emotionally appropriate facial expression is news.

Well, shout hallelujiah and pass me the valium.

Full disclosure - I'm not above or immune to celeb gossip. This isn't about being "too good" to peruse the glossy pics of US Magazine. But perhaps it's time for the purveyors of trashy celebrity "news" to do a bit of self-culling, and for the other news outlets to do some self-policing: I'm looking at you, Allegedly Serious Cable News Outlets Who Lead With Lohan Stories.

2 comments:

Belle said...

And the whole affair seems quite sad, too.

Hey - I watched "Mad Men" last night. Edgy. How can I access your post about it? I read it but now that I've seen the show I'd like to revisit.

BAW said...

Gah.

I have no idea how to reach anything. Am hoping to be back up and running with archives intact next week, provided I have enough time after taking The Boy roller skating to do so.